Barney Butter Pie
September 23, 2010
In addition to being a great recipe writer, Michele is an adventurous – and primarily healthy – personal chef.
An easy almond butter treat, this dreamy pie is an indulgent finale to a family meal. Since pie needs to be chilled, make it the day before or early in the afternoon.
For the crust:
- 1 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 6 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the filling:
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1/4 cup Barney Butter, smooth
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds*
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, plus more for whipping as garnish
- For the crust, preheat oven to 300 degrees F. and place crust ingredients in a small bowl, mixing until well-combined. Press into an ungreased 8-inch pie dish and bake for 15 minutes or until fragrant and just lightly toasted. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling, place cream cheese, Barney Butter and sugar in the bowl of a standup mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat until smooth. Add almonds and extracts and continue to beat until well-blended.
- In a chilled medium-sized bowl, beat heavy cream using a hand mixer until stiff peaks form. Using a spatula, fold a third of the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture to lighten it. Gently fold in remaining whipped cream just until blended (do not over mix or it will deflated the filling).
- Pour filling into cooled pie shell and refrigerate for 2 hours or up to overnight to set up. To serve, garnish slices of almond butter pie with whipped cream.
*To toast almonds: Place almonds in a small dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan for a few minutes, or until almonds are just starting to get golden. Quickly remove from heat and pour onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
I just wanted to share that I had my first bite of Barney Butter and nearly cried from joy. I developed a peanut allergy six years ago and have desperately missed peanut butter. I have tried EVERY almond butter out there but they have all been a poor substitute. When I saw your Barney Butter in the store the other day and saw that it has the same consistency as peanut butter I had to try it. It is the absolute best! I will be a loyal fan from now on! Thank you so much for making my day! – Dawn, Vero Beach, FL